Under the same moon and sky

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Random Thoughts

Job Hunting

After 1 month of relaxation, I have started job hunting seriously. These past few days, I have been looking at the employment section of the newspaper. I have been passing resumes' to various company websites. I will also be meeting some people who have connections to certain companies in the hope of landing employment.

So far these are the jobs that I have been seriously considering:

Flight Attendant

I have e-mailed Continental Airlines about applying for a position as a Flight Attendant. After about 3 weeks, they gave me a reply yesterday about the progress of my application. They told me that my application is now being reviewed by their Human Resources Department. If I get chosen, they will send me another e-mail giving me details about job training and orientation in Newark, New Jersey.

Part of the perks of being a flight attendant is the opportunity to travel around the world, Getting discounts and free airline tickets. Learning about language and culture, and meeting people from different parts of the world.

The downside though is being on-call 24 hours, in case of changes in schedule, and the changes in sleep patterns and lack of sleep caused by crossing time zones. I am seriously worried about the latter.

Teacher

My previous work. It is something that I am very familiar with and something that I enjoy very much. It is one of the most noble professions in the world. This time however, I am applying as a high school teacher or a junior high school teacher in different public and private schools here. I can also continue teaching english as a second language here in New York since there are also a lot of language schools that have offices here.

The best part of being a teacher is being able to share my knowledge and help the students learn. One of the happiest and most rewarding experience I have is when I see my students progress and their joy when they learn something new or when they understand the lesson.
Being a teacher would also give me about 4 months of vacation. (holidays+breaks) I can use that time to get a part time job, to travel, or to do almost anything possible.

Work in an Advertising Company.

Today, I submitted my resume' to an advertising company. The company's name is KSL Media. You can check their website at www.kslmedia.com. Working in an advertsing company would also be ideal because I would be able to apply the things I learned in class and my major is geared and related to Advertising anyway.

I will still be looking at other job openings, but the important thing for me is to find a job that I will truly enjoy.

"Choose a job that you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life" so cliche' but true.



Miss Universe 2006

I watched the Miss Universe beauty pageant 2 days ago. I was cheering for Ms. Japan, Ms. Bolivia and Ms. Philippines. Miss Philippines didn't make it to the top 20, Miss Bolivia wasn't included in the top 5 and Ms. Japan became the 1st runner-up. Ms. Puerto Rico became Ms. Universe 2006

I honestly thought that Ms. Japan, Kurara Chibana should have won Miss Universe 2006. Beauty aside, what impressed me the most was that she is fluent in 4 langauges: Japanese English, Spanish and French. She won the national costume award though as a samurai warrior



NBA Basketball, I love this game

I am getting impatient waiting for the 2006-2007 NBA season. I am looking forward to watching the NBA games live either at the Madison Square Garden or at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey. This year will be the first time that I will be watching the NBA games live. I will not forget to bring my digital camera by that time.

My cousin works at the hospital where most of the New York sports teams (Knicks, Jets, Yankees) are affiliated as well as celebrities like P. Diddy (aka Puff Daddy) and Pau's favorite singer Britney Spears. She told me that they usually gets free tickets to watch these games.

When I get that free ticket, My New York Knicks better not disappoint me. Last season was a nightmare for Knick fans as their beloved team compiled a woeful 23-59 win loss record in the NBA. Making Madison Square Garden home of the 2nd worst team in the NBA trailing only the Portland Trailblazers win loss record of 21-61.

I'm thinking that before the trade deadline ends, The Knicks will acquire a superstar *cough* Kevin *cough* Garnett *cough* to reunite with Stephon Marbury the best pointguard in the NBA.

Fearless forecast: My Knicks will finish with a 44-38 record this coming season and get a 7th or 8th playoff spot and a possible finals appearance...but then again I can always cheer for the New Jersey Nets if my prediction fails.

10 Comments:

  • Hello!
    Well, which do you want to be a teacher or flight attendant?
    They are not similar jobs so if you choose fligh attendant, that's challenging for you!
    I hope you can get a good job!

    By Blogger erika, at 8:56 PM  

  • You went all the way to New York to be a flight attendant? I smell something kio-esque...

    And your NYK forecast is a tad too fearless. Do you smell some haterade? Cheers.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:24 AM  

  • To Erika:

    I still want to be a teacher, but I'm also willing to try other jobs that I will enjoy. The prospect of travelling around the world insterests me. Thank you for wishing me good luck.

    To Migs:

    There is a bit of a kio-esque motivation to be honest, haha. Naw I don't consider it hate, it's all love. I just wish that when I watch the Knicks or Nets it would be against the Cavs so that I can take a picture with King James

    By Blogger Ernest, at 7:04 AM  

  • correction lang: my favorite singer aint britney. it's the spice girls.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 AM  

  • Haha. If you can get past the four horsemen, that is.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:06 PM  

  • HAHahaha 44-38 your fellow knick fan realistically i dont know man. That's why im not betting to kirby again. hahaha britney spears. Oh ernest while your there find your mrs. capili at the same time hanap mo na rin ako ng mrs. villamin hahahahahahaha

    -kiel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 AM  

  • ...hey! don't forget mrs. bassig!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:45 AM  

  • Haha, I've got my hands full. Even Kirby commisioned me to look for Mrs. Garlitos.

    Ayt, there's lots of ebony love to go around for y'all. In 20+ years the NBA will be crawling with Fil-ams with last names of Bassig, Villamin and Garlitos.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Ernest, at 9:30 AM  

  • try catching a hornets game against the knicks and enjoy the punishment cp3 will dish out on your hapless knicks. i smell a 40-15 game from cp.

    --kirby

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:18 AM  

  • i better get some of those free airline tickets 'homes.

    a few years baby.

    fugazi in NYC will be a reality.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home